I took some careful measurements to ensure the side protection tubing would fit inside the passenger foot box and then trimmed it to fit tight against the square and round tubing. This is a duplicate of the tubing on the driver’s side, but I needed to make it a mirror image of the other side in order to fit.
After tacking it in place, I removed all of the sheet metal for the passenger foot box and welded it in place.
Here’s the upper weld. Not the prettiest, but good penetration on both sides. I had to keep repositioning the gun to get a decent angle on the weld which made it hard to keep any consistency around the perimeter.
I had a little better access at the other end, so I was able to make a somewhat more attractive weld. This should provide substantially more side impact protection.